New Fall UniformPosted: November 15, 2010
I started this top last spring, in part as a technical exercise to see if I could begin with a cross, and then work it outward to four corners, sew up the shoulders and end up with a top. Though I’m really not sure what I was thinking with that colors scheme! And finally, now, it is done. The problem is that it isn’t something that I would wear. I’m not sure if it is the candy colors or the pop references of the pattern, but I would go nuts if I had to wear this for a whole season.
So how to make a new fall top in a pinch? Re-inspired by conversations about finger crochet techniques with the Von Tundra Crew when they were here for their event (they made great lamps with finger crochet netting to diffuse the light) I decided to throw together a new top using an organic undulating single and half double finger stitches. I love the effect that this creates, and was able to make a new “uniform” in just a few days. The problem was when I got it wet to block it into shape, it totally expanded and got huge, like a big 1070s tunic. I guess that the stitches were so loose they just totally stretched out and lost their delicacy and complexity.
So I did something that I hate it when knitters or crochetters do – I tossed it in the washing machine and felted it up (always thought that the washing machine felting technique was was totally a form of cheating). Then I stretched the still damp result over a dress form and it actually turned out sort of awesome. Next up will be one in brown done mostly with single crochet stitches to see if I can tighten up the weave a bit, stay posted.